Department history in brief:

The Department of Mines and Geology started functioning under the name and style as “Hyderabad Geological Survey” (HGS) during the year 1921. The functions of the HGS were carrying systematic survey, preparation of information on the mineral resources and technical advises on geology and mineral occurrences to Government as well as private persons. The functions of geological survey and inspection of mines were carried out both by the Department of Mines and Hyderabad Geological Survey until 1951.  The Hyderabad Geological Survey was merged with Geological Survey of India in the year 1951 Later the functions of granting of mineral concessions were transferred to Revenue Department. The Department of Mines & Geology was looking after the technical aspects and advising Government on desirability to grant mineral concessions. In 1961,1964 & 1967, State Government established (3) Regional Offices under the charge of Assistant Director of Mines & Geology to look after the mineral activity in the State. Introduction of permit system in the year 1975 made it obligatory on the part of mine owners to pay royalty in advance and obtain permits from respective Assistant Directors of Mines & Geology before transporting minerals from the leased areas. In 1976 – 77, Government sanctioned a scheme of re-organization of the Department wherein mineral regulatory work in respect of both major & minor minerals hitherto under the control of the Revenue Department was transferred to the Department of Mines & Geology. In 1976 – 77, to administer mineral regulatory activity in the State Government established (12) offices of Assistant Directors of Mines & Geology offices and (4) offices of Regional Deputy Director of Mines & Geology offices.

After Reorganization of the state and After Reorganization of the Districts, the promotional, regulatory and collection of mineral revenue in the Telangana State is performed by Directorate at Hyderabad. (3) Regional Deputy Directors of Mines & Geology offices at Nizamabad, Warangal and Hyderabad. (32) District Assistant Director of Mines & Geology Offices each at District Head Quarters.

The office of the Asst. Director of Mines and Geology (Vigilance) was established at Mahabubabad on 19.12.2007 as Head Quarters  with the jurisdiction of erstwhile Warangal District as per G.O.Ms.No.219 Fin (SMPC) Dept. dt:28.11.2007 for taking of the following. 

  1. Detection of Illicit mining/quarrying
  2. Detection of encroachments of ML/QL areas
  3. Inspection of Mineral Based Industries
  4. Inspection of major private civil constructions
  5. Checking of vehicles carrying minerals
  6. Enquiry of Grievances, Petitions received from public and Paper Clippings.

 Subsequently, the Government of Telangana State have re-organized the districts and formed new districts vide G.O.Ms.No.221 Revenue (DACMRF) Dept, date:11.10.2016.  Among other new districts, Nirmal District is also formed with Head Quarters at Nirmal town w.e.f 11.10.2016.

 The office of the Asst. Director of Mines and Geology (Vigilance), Nirmal have been converted in to Regular Office as office of the Asst. Director of Mines and Geology, Nirmal  with the jurisdiction of newly formed Nirmal District as per G.O.RT No. 342 Industries and Commerce (Mines-I) Department, dated:11.10.2016 with following posts entrusting with Mineral Regulatory Work, Promotion of Minerals  and Collection of Mineral Revenue to the State Exchequer and commenced work w.e.f. 11.10.2016.